In an amazing post, one of my favorite writers, Penelope Trunk, said that someone once told her that “should” isn’t a word in Spanish. Whether it is or isn’t is not the point. Consider the freeness of a world without ‘should’.
Think about how many times a day you say that you ‘should’ do something – it’s never a good feeling right?? It causes guilt and other pretty yucky, unhelpful emotions. That word “should” be eradicated from our language – and our thoughts.
I don’t have a ‘regular’ job and haven’t since 2007. Money fluctuates sometimes, but I don’t wake up with an alarm clock most days – and that more than makes up for it. I am in the process of selling most of my stuff and heading out on the road; being truly nomadic. It’s a path I’ve been heading down for a while. I’m not sure how long I won’t have a ‘real home’, but it works for me now. My dream home is an airstream trailer because its mobile, not a huge mansion. I like to think that is more because I want to be mobile than something from my Arkansas heritage coming out.
I’m not a pioneer in living this way – for centuries people have bucked the system. From Zheng He to Elizabeth Jane Cochran. Today there is Tim Ferriss, Tynan, and countless others. In a world of conformity, I think there is more than enough room for one more person who is doing something different.
Unboxify is a place to share:
- • Lifestyle design and living the way you want. I hate the term ‘lifestyle design’ but because people know what it means, I’m lowering myself to using it here.
- • Amazing stories of how other people live – different cultures, ideas, etc. I am going to interview artists, entrepreneurs, travelers, and regular Joe’s and Jorge’s that have something meaningful to say and are doing something different.
- • How to make being a modern-day gypsy work. I will show you what has worked and not worked for me. You not sell all your stuffs and hit the road full-time, but there will be useful tips for minimalism and entertaining stories about what happens when you lose your driver’s license and don’t have a real home (coming soon).
- • Making money on the road and a bit of marketing 🙂 That is how I make my money . .
- Getting out of your box can be as big as spending a month in India or as small as taking time to be compassionate to a stranger.
- I believe that life is an adventure. My life is my adventure. My biggest goal is to help or inspire you live yours the way you want as well.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
How magical and freeing is that? Stop doing what you think you should do, and live the life you want. Hang out with me while I do the same.